THIS IS ideSHi...
Institute for developing Science and Health initiatives was launched in 2014 with the goal to create awareness, strengthen capacity and power innovations to make Bangladesh a global leader in the field of biomedical sciences and translational research.
The initiative for establishing “Institute for Developing Science and Health Initiatives (ideSHi)” was possible with the Christophe Rodolfe Grand Prize awarded to Dr. Firdausi Qadri in June 2012. A seven- member executive board was formed with experts and entrepreneurs to plan and formally register ideSHi in Bangladesh as a non-profit foundation. The institute is now located in the premises of the Centre for Medical Biotechnology of the Directorate General of Health Services, Institute of Public Health in Dhaka. It is furnished with BSL-2 facilities to carry out molecular, immunological, genetic and metabolic research.
From February 2014, the ideSHi facility started functioning and at present is buzzing with activities and has turned into a hub for scientists, research fellows and undergraduate and PhD fellows. Collaborating scientists from USA, Canada and France are working with ideSHi. The institute is also running training courses for medical personnel, clinicians and biomedical researchers by focus on areas of biomedical sciences and biotechnology where a crucial need and a major gap exists in Bangladesh and in the developing world.
Although ideSHi principally aims at introducing studies on inborn errors of metabolism (IEM) including diagnosis of IEM, focus is also given on other genetic disorders including Down Syndrome, hereditary neuro-degenerative diseases like Huntington’s disease, congenital hypothyroidism, thalassemia etc. as well as on infectious diseases including respiratory infections, Hepatitis E virus infections, rapid diagnosis of typhoid fever, molecular diagnosis of ETEC diarrhea and diarrheal diseases, as well as molecular mechanisms of antimicrobial resistance in acute respiratory and enteric infections.
In addition, ideSHi is committed to carrying out humanitarian and research programs for devising pragmatic solutions to public health problems encountered here in Bangladesh; strengthening local scientific capacity and encouraging innovations; facilitating and organizing scientific training programs, and arranging seminars, symposia, and conference for carrying out academic discourses to address local, regional and global health issues. ideSHi is also determined to provide a world-class education to graduate and post-graduate level students, thereby improving technical capabilities of scientists in Bangladesh.
OUR MISSION AT ideSHi...
Thus our mission includes:
- Creating awareness, strengthening capacity and powering innovations to make Bangladesh a global leader in the field of biomedical sciences and translational research.
- Providing solutions to public health problems through translation of innovative ideas into technologies.
- Accelerating studies on genetic disorders in Bangladesh and training of biomedical scientists and clinicians in laboratory based research utilizing immunological and molecular biological tools.
- Serving as a hub for enabling research and training activities in Bangladesh by leveraging its network of national and international partners.
- Provide a base for collaboration with international research institutions to carry out studies in Bangladesh.
- Building up local capacity in the fields of biomedical sciences and biotechnology by facilitating and organising specialised scientific training programs conducted by national and international experts
- Providing opportunities for Bangladeshi scientists and researchers to gain expertise in the areas of biotechnology and biomedical research by providing them opportunities to receive training at international facilities
- Providing financial support for students and researchers in the form of fellowships, scholarships and stipends
GET IN TOUCH...
To get in touch with ideSHi, send us a message.